Call me crazy, but I love a good couple of rainy days. Having my (forever-working) hubby home during the day since they can’t work when it’s pouring. It’s nice to slow the pace down for a couple days. But I think I might be over it now after day 5 in the last week. Everything is beyond soaked, and Harlie is definitely getting cabin fever since we haven’t got to play outside any, and probably won’t get to until Friday. Shesh.
On another note, do you do detox baths, drinks, or cleanses? What about vitamins? I’ve had a few people ask what “healthy habits” I do on a daily and monthly basis. So I’m sharing some of my favorite health and wellness hacks and favorite products in today’s post.
– APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Who hasn’t heard that apple cider vinegar is good for you in almost every way? There’s some things out there that are super good for you, but the taste isn’t worth the reward. This was one of those for me. The smell of it made me stir clear of it. Luckily, someone mentioned that you could buy ACV capsules. I searched for them on Amazon, and was sold when I found a 180 count for less than $10! I had struggled with bad skin since a few months after I had Harlie, and had read that ACV was fantastic for all types of skin types and concerns. So I started taking them the day I got them in the mail. I took 2-3 in the morning, and the same before bedtime. Within TWO WEEKS I saw a huge improvement in my skin, and the amount of breakouts I was having. I started to slack after about 6-8 weeks, and then noticed my skin started to flare up again. I think you need a solid 3-4 months of this in your system to kill off the bacteria causing the problems.
– NINGXIA RED DRINK. I honestly don’t remember where I first heard/saw about this drink mix, but once I read all of it’s benefits I knew I had to try it. I had pretty low expectations for the taste, but was SO happy when I tried it and it actually tasted good! I ordered 2 bottles (which lasted me about 8-9 weeks) and started drinking 2-3oz about 4-5 times per week. I shoot for everyday, but I definitely don’t conquer that. I like to mix it with the Bai Pink Grapefruit juice OR a natural lemonade. It’s almost like a mixed drink in the summer, it’s so good! Super blend of blueberry, aronia, cherry, pomegranate, and plum juices, natural stevia extract, grape seed extract, pure vanilla extract, and orange, yuzu, lemon, and tangerine essential oils.
– PRENATAL VITAMIN. Obviously you take these types of vitamins when you’re expecting, but what about other times? I was told by one of my good clients about the importance of taking prenatals well before I wanted to get pregnant. I had no idea. She explained how she was born with spina bifida because of low folic acid in her body as she was developing. I went home and read up on the benefits of taking prenatals before actually being pregnant, and basically, any women in the child bearing ages should be taking these to make sure their folic acid levels are already up before getting pregnant. So, I started taking them, did so through my pregnancy, and still do so now. It’s basically a multi-vitamin, but with a higher focus on folic acid.
– CLEANSE & TOXIN FLUSH. I started using a daily cleanse about 6 months before I got pregnant. I wanted something that was natural, but effective. I love that this one has the powerhouse Acai extract as the first ingredient. Acai is a wonderful fruit which helps to eliminate toxins and waste in the gut, promote energy and metabolism, as well as boost brain function. I take 2 of these with 4-5oz of water before bed.
monthly / yearly
– CLEANSE. I like to do a true cleanse about 3-4 times per year. I will switch it up in what type of cleanse I do. Whether it be a juice cleanse, or the 10-day Advocare cleanse, etc.
– SAUNAS. Justin and I both LOVE to sit in a steamy sauna. I love how I feel after sweating out toxins and how fresh and soft my skin feels afterwards. If you don’t go to a gym where there is a sauna you can sit in, check your local gyms and see if you can pay just to use their’s for a small fee. BodyPlex in Oakwood let’s you sit in their steam sauna for 5 bucks. Unlimited amount of time. I have a hard time breathing in dry saunas, but I have been to JeJu Spa which has tons of different types of saunas and felt like I sweated the most in their dry one. I been dying to go back, but can’t find anyone to go with me.. maybe it’s because you had to get nude?! 😳
– BODY SCRUB / MASSAGES. This may seem like it should be in a beauty post, but hear me out. Massages may feel wonderful, and cost a pretty penny sometimes, but they are great for releasing toxins and bringing circulation at its peak throughout the entire body. Besides what massages (never more than 10 mins lol) Justin gives me at home, I try to do a few a year although I use to be WAY better at taking time to get massages before I had Harlie. #momlife
Body scrubs are also great for your skin, and remove dead skin cells that build up over time. I do these scrubs more often in the spring and summer time when I am showing more skin, but it’s important to do them year round. Winter is harsh on everyone’s skin, so don’t skip the cold months. I love THIS scrub, and will rub either a body oil (usually in the winter) or a body butter afterwards to re-hydrate.
– TURMERIC. I’ve mentioned before that I have had lower back issues for a few years now, but it got a lot worse when I got pregnant with Harlie. I was told by a doctor that turmeric is amazing for inflammation, so I gave it a try when I had a flare up. I can’t say it took away the pain, but I do feel like it helped it not be so bad or long lasting.
I’m sure I’m forgetting something in the monthly/yearly category, but hopefully this info will help! If you have any questions I didn’t cover, or want more in depth answers, feel free to leave me a comment here or DM me on Instagram @thedresscode_
Thanks for reading!