Today starts the last 365 days in my 20’s! WHAT???
You probably guessed today’s topic based on the photos, but incase you haven’t had enough coffee yet today… Today is my birthday 🎂 ! I have been beyond blessed with my health, family, and career. Since I’m writing this the day before my birthday, I don’t know what Justin has up his sleeve for me/us, and will update tomorrow! But today I wanted to share a few things I’ve learned throughout my 20’s, as well as some “Favorites/Wish List” items for the month since I usually do a Monthly Fav’s at the end of each month.
5 Things I’ve Learned in my 20’s
1. STOP CARING WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS. I put this one first because it is SO true. Middle school days are when you really start feeling the pressures of being in the “cool crowd” and having the right clothing labels on your shirts, and wearing your hair just like the other 100 girls in your grade. Then on the high school with the parties, and even more about what you’re wearing. Luckily, I started caring less my senior year, and started wearing sweats to school more often than I probably should have lol. It may have been partly because Justin and I were already together and he had been graduated. So I wasn’t trying to impress the guys. As the years went by after high school, I finally started dressing and being more Randi, and less everyone else. My style really started to evolve, and surprise surprise.. I got tons of compliments! So just be YOU. You never know where that can take you. After becoming a mama I really started not caring what anyone but my husband thought. I admit, I was judge-y before Harlie about moms who did or didn’t do certain things to their kids. But now after living in their shoes, I’m like- JUST LET THEM LIVE! If they want to let their child have a paci at 2.5 years old, LET THEM. What is that hurting me? It’s not. Do I agree with it? No. But when I go to sleep that night, that situation isn’t hurting me in the least bit, so just “Let it Gooo” -Elsa. ☺️
2. THINGS DON’T ALWAYS WORK OUT/ EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. Every year we get older, the statement can’t get more true. Justin and I both have had SO many occasions where we were like WHY CAN’T THIS JUST WORK OUT!? God has a time and place for absolutely everything in each of our lives, and when we try to control that.. well, it usually just don’t work the way we want it to. I’m a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. Sometimes you’ll see as soon as the next day the “why” and sometimes you may never know. But I, myself, have said “Ohh.. THAT’S why that happened.” more times than I can count. Just trust His plan and stop trying to always control everything. 🙏🏼
3. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO EVERYONE ELSE. This one goes for your entire life. In today’s world of non-stop access to social media and everyone’s fairytale life, that we forget they aren’t posting a photo of their dinner they pulled out of the oven and dropped it on the floor, causing them to have to order pizza. They aren’t posting when they are behind on their mortgage, or have a credit card maxed out. Just be thankful for what you DO have… Your HEALTH, FAMILY, JOB, and a ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD. 99% of everyone on social media is only going to post the “good”. So stop assuming that’s their whole life and you have lots of “bad” they don’t have.
4. INVEST IN EXPERIENCES INSTEAD OF THINGS. yassss! 🙌🏼 Ask my husband if this is true for me. I’m always saying I want to go somewhere instead of a gift. I love my designer handbags, but I will forever love to experience new places and adventures. In 20 years you will forget about that outfit or shoes you got for your birthday, but I promise you’ll remember going zip lining or a weekend getaway to a cabin in the mountains with your girls or your hubby.
5. YOU + YOUR FRIENDS WILL CHANGE. You’ve got your pack that is inseparable throughout school. You see them everyday, and likely most weekends. But what about when you go off and some stay home for college? You start to change. That doesn’t mean that’s a bad thing. You’re each going to grow into women, and learn so much about life throughout the years of 18-28. What you truly like and don’t like, compared to what you went along with everyone else in high school. You’re going to find a spouse, or date seriously. You may have children, or buy your first home. Every one of these life events changes you in some way, and that doesn’t mean you’ve become a totally different person. It just means you’ve grown, and things ABOUT you change. You’re going to go through so many different emotions in your 20’s, and some aren’t going to be happy ones. You’ve just got to find yourself, and who you can become. I’ve tried different career moves, different business adventures, and different hair styles, but not every one of them were successful and THAT’S OKAY! 💋
CURRENT FAVORITES + WISH LIST ITEMS
1. I’m in the process of converting our downstair guest bedroom into my office/photoshoot area. I ordered THIS desk and I AM OBSESSED!!!
3. Just ordered THESE unique hoop earrings.
4. I got some samples from a friend of the Young Living brand superfruit drink called Ningxia Red, and I’m loving it! So much energy + good ingredients.
5. How comfy + trendy are THESE distressed sweatshirts?! I got 2 colors.
Justin says he has something planned for this weekend, since his mama is going to have Harlie for two nights. I’m excited no matter what, it’s Labor Day/ Birthday Weekend.. what’s better!? 💃🏽
What’s your most memorable thing about your 20’s? I’d love to hear about it on today’s post!